Are you ready to roll up your sleeves and build an organization from the ground up? At PayGo, our mission is to unlock clean energy for the next billion; we’re seeking a strategic, meticulous and energetic builder to help us get there!
Background: Although gas is widely available globally, it is exclusively sold in large volumes, which are not affordable for the nearly one billion households that currently rely on dirty fuels. PayGo Energy, based in Nairobi, Kenya, has developed smart metering systems that enable customers to purchase gas in small amounts directly from traditional gas cylinders. PayGo’s software platform monitors gas levels remotely, allowing for cylinders to be exchanged before they run out; providing an uninterrupted supply of clean energy for populations that were previously underserved.
The Head of Software is a mission critical role that will take PayGo’s platform from hundreds of users to millions. As lead engineer, you will design, build, and maintain PayGo’s infrastructure while working directly with leadership on PayGo’s overarching software strategy.
Who you are
- You’re excited by the challenge of building a world class software engineering culture
- Have a strong sense of responsibility, ownership and the ability to drive issues to completion
- Are an effective communicator who willingly shares your creative ideas and solutions
- Are already based in Nairobi or willing to move
- Have attention to detail and a sense of humor!
- Designing frameworks for a wide range of frontend and backend features based on input from observations of operations, management requests, or specific hardware integrations
- Implement, debug, and optimize major systems in the context of a cross-platform code base
- Spearhead development of innovative solutions to optimize user experience, distribution, inventory, tracking, and telemetry
- Contribute significantly to system architecture, technical designs, and postmortems
- Perform data and code analysis to identify improvement opportunities
- Provide management and guidance to sub-contractors, lesser experienced team members, and new hires
- Ability to translate user needs into tech requirements
- Entrepreneurial spirit and relentless drive to see a job done well
- Understand the issues around designing & building reliable, scalable software
- Independent and communicative
- Well organized and team oriented
- BS/MS Computer Science or similar with 4+ years professional experience
- Familiar with AngularJS
- Working knowledge of Relational and Non-Relational databases: MySQL/MongoDb/Firebase
- Familiar with web services and REST API’s
- An understanding of server and back-end architecture
- Ability to learn and implement new technologies and processes quickly and seamlessly
Nice to haves
- Firmware and IoT experience: Arduino, Raspberry, Particle IO
- Mobile app development experience: native or hybrid
- Cloud based app development experience
- Working experience with a range of programming languages: TypeScript, C/C++, Python, PHP, Ruby or others.
- Server/database maintenance and administration including permissions and security protocols
- Competitive compensation
- A driven, hands-on team with a lot of room for personal growth and leadership
- Exciting role at a fast-growing and socially driven company
If you are interested in becoming part of this exciting adventure send your CV and cover letter updated to email@example.com before the 15th of March 2017.